≡ Menu

This Video Will Change Some Audiobook Narrators’ Careers Forever

Audiobook Narrator Promotion

Audiobook narrators: Do you get paid just respectable fees, or do you command respectful rates for your recording work?

After you watch this brief video, you’ll realize you’ve been shortchanging your own career.

To play video, tap the “Play” button in the middle of the screen.
To enlarge to Full Screen, tap the “star” image in the bottom right corner.

Please “Like” and Share below and then leave your comments/questions.

Facebook Comments

Comments on this entry are closed.

• Linda Roper April 16, 2018, 7:37 am

As you see Dan, my website is outdated. I’ve learnt a lot through your ACX training, I’m now ready to move on. Thank you.
    May our lives go well. And Double it. Linda Roper

• Stephanie April 16, 2018, 9:20 am

Hello Dan,
    I’ve wanted to take a class with you and David for years now. I hope that this is the class I’m able to take. It sounds perfect. I have an ACX profile with 3 completed titles. I can produce an audio book from start to finish with no problem. I’d like to cut through the auditions and market myself better. I enjoy doing audio books, I don’t like the audition and search process on ACX and have wanted a better way to find work. I think I could build a bigger business with ACX and look forward to seeing what you are offering.

• Dan O'Day April 16, 2018, 10:29 am

@Linda Roper: You’re really going to like Week 5 of the Aikido Self Promotion for Audiobook Narrators class, much of which is devoted to “Easy Internet Tactics for Real People, NOT TECHIES.”

• Dan O'Day April 16, 2018, 10:45 am

@Stephanie: As you’ve seen, ACX is an excellent place to start. For people such as you who tire of auditioning AND who are good at what they do, Aikido Self Promotion for Audiobook Narrators provides a huge step up. Looking forward to having you in theh class.

• Dan Curtis April 16, 2018, 12:55 pm

I’ve completed 7 books on ACX but none of them have sold well enough to make the time spent worthwhile. Some of them had good sales ratings for the Kindle Book but somehow I have not figured out how to pick the good sellers. I have learned, however, that if the audition script is poorly written or full of grammatical and spelling errors, it’s not worth pursuing. I once narrated an embarrassing business book written by a guy who didn’t know the difference between gratitude and gratuity and used the two words interchangeably. I hope your course can put me on a better track.

• Dan O'Day April 16, 2018, 1:06 pm

@Dan Curtis: My Aikido Self Promotion for Audiobook Narrators class won’t help you select better titles on ACX. It’s devoted to positioning yourself so that authors and publishers come to you to ask if you’d consider recording their books — regardless of whether they use ACX.

If you’re not interested in that kind of result but want to learn how to pick ACX titles that are likely to be worthwhile, I highly recommend the ACX Master Class. That’s one of the many elements our grads rave about.

The 2018 ACX Master Class already has been taught, but you can be advised of the next time we teach it (sometime in 2019) by putting your name on the list you’ll find here: http://ACXMasterClass.com

For anyone else reading this: It’s the 2018 ACX Master Class that already has been taught. The class this video talks about — Aikido Self Promotion for Audiobook Narrators — has NOT yet been taught this year…

…but will be very soon.

• LINDA LONGCRANE April 17, 2018, 9:49 pm

Dan, I’m with Linda Roper! I have enjoyed using ACX but I’m ready for movin’ on up; and as usual, I don’t have a clue. Therefore, I’m looking forward to this opportunity.

• Dan O'Day April 17, 2018, 10:24 pm

@Linda Longcrane: Two Lindas who are vets of my (and David’s) other audiobook class — looks like the 2018 edition of Aikido Self Promotion for Audiobook Narrators will hit the ground running.

• Kevin Meyer April 22, 2018, 9:15 pm

Hi Dan. I’ve enjoyed my previous classes with you. I understand the ongoing need for coaching and am considering my options to plow back into this business, one of those options being this class. I have 7 or 8 books on Audible at 1200-2000 in sales. (Ambiguous numbers because I don’t have sales figures for the three PFH projects.)

And yes, I love the work and want to make it my full time life. I’ve read the prepared testimonials for this class and that’s great. Do you have any reasonable results averages from past students of this class…ROI? This intelligent, hard working, flexible and moderately talented guy would like to bring it in full time.

Thanks! And best regards.

• Dan O'Day April 22, 2018, 11:27 pm

@Kevin Meyer: I hope everyone who’s been told by unsuccessful audiobook narrators “you can’t get PFH (Per Finished Hour) jobs” noticed that you’ve had 3 so far.

I don’t have average ROI statistics from previous students. As you know from our previous classes together, I don’t survey people to ask how much money they made. They only time I learn about dollar amounts are when someone mentions it in a posting in the Mastermind Group.

As one of our Aikido graduates says in his class review (http://danoday.com/aikido-reviews-2018/), his first contract far exceeded the cost of the class…which it should simply because the Aikido method is designed so that you set your fees.

On the other hand, I’m sure there are graduates who haven’t been as quick to begin the process. That’s what it is: an ongoing process that builds upon itself. It’s not some singular tactic which, when applied, immediately attracts high-paying assignments.

I know the system works when people apply it. But I wouldn’t want anyone to take the class thinking it’s guaranteed to enable them to switch to full-time audiobook narration.

There’s one guy in our permanent ACX Master Class Mastermind Group who you might have noticed now is doing audiobooks full-time…and big-time. Everything he’s mentioned that he does to attract work is among the strategies and tactics I teach in the Aikido class…even though he hasn’t taken the class (at least, not yet). No matter how good the system, ultimately the relative degree of success depends upon the willingness of the person to actually do stuff rather than put it off until s/he “has more time.”

Some people like to learn as much as they can but never get around to putting it into practice. For them, the financial ROI may well be nonexistent.

So my answer to your direct and eminently reasonable question is: No, I’m not privy to our previous students’ average ROI.

If you decide the Aikido Self Promotion for Audiobook Narrators class sounds right for you, I’ll look forward to having you with us!